Wednesday, January 27, 2010

To Greenscreen Or Not To Greenscreen That is The Question

Sin CityLately, I find myself debating what direction to take when filming. Most people would grab their camera and go. But, I can't seem to shake my greenscreen dreams. The idea of creating a whole world from scratch appeals to the artist in me. It's time for a pros and cons list.

Pros:

  • create anything you can imagine
  • light and mic your actors with ease
  • work in one location
  • scheduling actors couldn't be easier
Cons:

  • sets must be modeled, lit, and rendered
  • camera moves must be tracked or cheated in post
  • certain camera angle may be difficult to achieve
To me it looks like the pros outweigh the cons. I guess it all comes down to the intended look of your film.

I have two examples, ONE which was shot on greenscreen and TWO which was not. Which of these two styles would you use?

October Black,

1 comment:

  1. Hey there!

    I think you are wrestling with the same thing that alot of indie filmmakers do.
    I personally think that should use the tools you have available to tell your story.

    And if thats a completely virtual world, go nuts I say! Who was it that said "Tell the story only you can tell". Get the right story, and people won't care if you drew it in crayon. The important thing is "Just Finish It!"

    ReplyDelete